2009年11月23日月曜日

Why are we who have everything still so greedy?


Here in Brazil, we were shocked when we spent some time with some children living on the streets. And this is what one child told us: "I wish I was rich and if I were, I would give all the street children food, clothes, medicine, shelter and love and affection."

If a child on the street who has nothing, is willing to share, why are we who have everything still so greedy?
(Severn Suzuki speaking for E.C.O. - The Environmental Children's organization)

ブラジルで、家のないストリートチルドレンと出会い、私たちはショックを受けました。ひとりの子どもが私たちにこう言いました。

「ぼくが金持ちだったらなぁ。もしそうなら、家のない子すべてに、食べ物と、着る物と、薬と、住む場所と、やさしさと愛情をあげるのに。」

家もなにもないひとりの子どもが、分かちあうことを考えているというのに、すべてを持っている私たちがこんなに欲が深いのは、いったいどうしてなんでしょう。

(illustration by RindacandiO 1999)

3 件のコメント:

  1. Did I tell you that I'd selected "her" as a topic for my college graduation thesis?

    返信削除
  2. really?I didn't know that.But I heard that you went to listen to her speech with nagomi...didn't u?

    返信削除
  3. yes, that's right.
    but before that, I was really getting into her when I was a college student.

    返信削除